Tholey was first mentioned in a document dated 634 A.D. but was already an important centre in Roman times. In the Wareswald forest, where excavations are taking place, is a junction of two important Roman roads: Metz-Mainz and Trier-Strasbourg. The cultural development in Tholey was significantly influenced by the Benedictine monks. In the time between 720 and 850 A.D. the Benedictine cloister “St. Mauritius” was built, which is the oldest cloister on German soil. The abbey church, which is early Gothic, dates from the 13th century.
There are many cultural places of interest in the community of Tholey, such as the Johann-Adams-Mühle (mill), the court estate Imsbach, the museum “Theulegium” or the Heimatmuseum (museum of local history) in Neipel.
The 569 m high Schaumberg mountain towers over community of Tholey, which is dedicated to the French-German friendship. The varied countryside is a true treasure trove for all hikers and cyclists. Only one example is the fully accessible 2.8 km long “Herzweg”, which leads around the Schaumberg mountain at about 500 m of height. The dining tour Schaumberg offers you a opportunity of combining walking with culinary delights, the premium hike “Offizierspfad Imsbach” offers particular scenic delights.
Bathing fun is on offer for young and old at the leisure pool Schaumberg, which is equipped with giant slide, currents channel, whirlpool and a sauna world in Roman style, among other things. The adjoining experience park with a bare-foot path has the motto of “Leisure-Experience-Health”. Attractive areas of this adventure playground are the noise gate, and sound, balancing and climbing games.
The Benedictine Abbey St. Mauritius in Tholey is the oldest monastery foundation on German soil. There, where the abbey is found today, a Roman bath system used to be located in the 3rd century AD. Upon these remains, the French Deacon Grimo Adalgisel built a church, probably a simple wooden framed structure, and bequeathed it to the Bishop of Verdun in the year of 643. It is assumed that...More
Auf der Nordseite des Schaumberges, oberhalb des Herzweges, liegt seit 1958 die zur Tholeyer Abtei gehörende Afrika-Kapelle.
Diese Gedächtnisstätte der Afrika-Veteranen aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg erinnert durch ihren siebeneckigen Grundriss an eine Dornenkrone und soll die sieben Schmerzen Marias darstellen.
Besonders hervor sticht die Pieta (ein Bild der schmerzhaften Mutter Gottes),...
The Blasius’ chapel in Bergweiler was built in the 13th century on the Blasiusberg hill of the same name. It is first mentioned in documentation dating to 1246 as being in possession of the Tholey monastery. The chapel is dedicated to St. Blasius and St. Theobert. Ending with the last century many pilgrims visited the chapel. The main pilgrimage day coincided with the yearly Markusfest...More
Badespaß für die ganze Familie bietet das Erlebnisbad Schaumberg in Tholey. Ausgestattet mit einer 103 m langen Riesenrutsche mit Lichteffekten, einem Strömungskanal, einem Außenbecken und einem attraktiven Nichtschwimmer und Mutter-Kind-Bereich bietet es Abwechslung und Vergnügen. Die Sauna- und Wellnesslandschaft "Sauna Vicus" im römischen Stil ist unter anderem mit einer finnischen und...More
The farmhouse -built in 1842- has not only accommodated a home and a farm, but also a pub. With the aid of the villagers the “Haus am Mühlenpfad” (“House on the mill path”) was restored and opened to the public. Today, the house- restored true to original- is home to a museum which brings the history of the villages of the Schaumberg region to life, in particular the one of the Bohnental...More
The main exhibition pieces are significant exhibits from the pre- and protohistory which were found in the Roman archaeological excavation Wareswald and around the Schaumberg mountain. At the same time the progression and history of the abbey of Tholey and the Schaumberg office are documented. The Benedictine abbey is the oldest monastery in Germany and can be traced back to the 8th...More
Seized as national property during the French Revolution, Hofgut Imsbach in Theley was awarded as a gift to the Colonel de Cavalerie Louis Charles Narcisse Lapointe in the year 1811, by Napoleon himself. The Lapointe family formed the image of the estate until 1903. The Colonel, his grandson Louis Adalbert and his wife were laid to rest in the crypt below the estate chapel.
The large mill wheel continues to clatter with the rushing of the water, which is channelled from from the
nearby Imsbach stream to the old mill. The Johann-Adams mill is located in an idyllic setting in a valley
near Theley. The mill has been refitted in the typical style of the region,and many household objects of our
predecessors can be admired in the museum. In summer, it is possible...
Barocker Klostergarten mit Teehaus, einer Imkerei und verschiedenen Gewächshäusern. In der Imkerei wird Honig zum Verkauf angeboten. Ein barocker Brunnen, der von Skulpturen der vier Evangelisten eingerahmt ist, vervollständigt die Anlage. Informationen: Abtei TholeyMore
Near Tholey an important Gallo-Roman settlement developed at the crossing point of the two important Roman roads from Metz to Mainz and from Trier to Strasbourg in the 1st century AD. The settlement stretched for about 1 kilometer along the road at the foot of the Schaumberg mountain. Moreover, the settlement area was extended downhill in terraces to the north and south. The established...More
Mount Schaumberg with its 569 m is known as Saarland’s “local mountain”. Schaumberg Tower was built as a symbol of the friendship between Germany and France.
A panorama lift takes guests to the barrier-free viewing platform. From the tower you can see over Saarland to the Hunsrück and can even catch a glimpse of France when the weather is clear. There are two exhibitions for you to...More