Missionary and Ethnological Museum in St. Wendel

    Father Arnold Janssen of the Steyler Missionaries founded the St. Wendel mission house, which extends far beyond the town from the Atzenhübel, in 1898. The mission house church was built between 1910 and 1913. The mission house also houses the Museum of Missionaries and Ethnology, which was founded after the church was built in 1920. First and foremost, the museum exhibits evidence of the ways of life and working habits of foreign cultures which the Steyler missionaries brought to St. Wendel from their missionary work abroad. Mainly objects from China and New Guinea and a large number of preserved animals from all over the world are presented. Carvings, weaving, jewellery and weapons from Indonesia are on display, along with special exhibits from the indigenous peoples of the Philippines. Musical instruments, masks, carvings, weapons and small collections of household vessels from different countries in Africa can be found among the exhibits. The porcelain, textiles and paintings on show mostly come from India, China and Japan.
    The mission bookshop on the ground floor offers a large selection of the current literature addressing theological-religious and educational topics.

    Address

    Missionshausstraße 50
    66606 St. Wendel
    Phone: +49 6851 805-330

    Opening hours

    Mon - Fri: 9 am – 6 pm
    Sat: 9 am - 1 pm
    Sun: 2 pm - 6 pm
    and by appointment

    back