A visit to the museums of the region of Sankt Wendel is worthwhile, not only during bad weather!
Art lovers will find interesting permanent exhibitions as well as temporary exhibitions of paintings and sculptures in the Museum Mia Münster in St. Wendel. Art courses and high calibre exhibitions take place at the Art Centre Bosener Mühle (Bosener Mill) at the Bostalsee lake.
If you would rather learn more about the rural handy crafts and the way of living in bygone times, you’ll find lovingly collected artefacts in the various museums of local history and farming museums. You can find out how a miller’s family carried out their work when visiting the Mill Museum of the Johann-Adams-Mühle in Theley.
Valuable finds of minerals mainly from sites around the volcanic Weiselberg mountain delight visitors to the mineralogical museums in Oberkirchen and Freisen. Roman finds can be admired in the Theulegium in Tholey.
A museum of a special kind in the open air is the Road of Sculptures, which displays sculptures along the Saarland circular hiking trail, which inspire and are food for thought.
The farmhouse -built in 1842- has not only accommodated a home and a farm, but also a pub. With the aid of the villagers the “Haus am Mühlenpfad” (“House on the mill path”) was restored and opened to the public. Today, the house- restored true to original- is home to a museum which brings the history of the villages of the Schaumberg region to life, in particular the one of the Bohnental...More
The main exhibition pieces are significant exhibits from the pre- and protohistory which were found in the Roman archaeological excavation Wareswald and around the Schaumberg mountain. At the same time the progression and history of the abbey of Tholey and the Schaumberg office are documented. The Benedictine abbey is the oldest monastery in Germany and can be traced back to the 8th...More
The Hiwwelhaus (House on the Hill) in Alsweiler is the oldest preserved farm house in the Saarland, both in its authenticity and originality. The house was built in 1711/1712 in a style which asserted itself as the forerunner of the south-west farmhouse style throughout the Saarland and Lorraine. The outer walls of the living area are built out of massive sandstone, the stable and barn are...More
A Celtic settlement based on historical models has been erected at the foot of the hill fort with residential, craft and storage buildings, fireplace and palisade. There are regular tours to the Celtic Ring Wall.
Various events are held from April to October, where you can get a clear understanding of the life of the Celts, their craftsmanship techniques and their living conditions.
The Kunstzentrum (Center of Arts) Bosener Mühle is directly located on the lake Bostalsee. The former flour mill, whose date of origin can no longer be retraced, was extended with a large barn in the year 1870. Due to it being uneconomical, the mill business was discontinued in the early 1930s. In line with the development and building measures at lake Bostalsee, the rural district of St....More
The farmhouse in Reitscheid was built in 1862 with a total usable area of 200 m². Typical of southwest German farmhouses is the clearly structured facade of windows and doors surrounded by natural stone. In front of the two-storey house with an underground level is a large courtyard as well as a garden and spacious meadows. Southwest German farmhouses -such as the prevalent Lorrainese...More
The Mia Münster House, centrally located in the city center of St. Wendel, was opened in 1989. The ground floor houses the city and district library.
The library presents itself as a modern media center. Apart from conventional print media, this comprises audiovisual and electronic media. The library users can choose from a total of 50,000 books: Novels and non-fictional books,...
The mineral museum Freisen is situated in the “Alten Rathaus” (old town hall) in Freisen. Almost exclusively minerals from the area are exhibited. In particular, agates in many different colours and textures and the “Weiselbergit“, which is to be found in the nearby Weiselberg mountain, form the focal point of this collection which is unique in the Saarland. The mineral society runs the...More
The mineralogical museum in Oberkirchen was founded as a private museum in 1948 by Augustinus Stein, a passionate hobby collector from Oberkirchen. A. Stein acquired most of the findings within the local region. His niece continued the managing of the museum until it was taken over by the community of Freisen in 1993 and was moved to the newly renovated premises of the “Alten Schule” (old...More
Father Arnold Janssen of the Steyler Missionary founded the mission, which rises high above the “Atzenhübel”, in St. Wendel in 1898. The mission church was built in the years 1913–1913. In addition, the Arnold Janssen grammar school and the Museum for Mission and Ethnology are housed in the mission, which was established subsequent to the building of the church in 1920. Evidence of the...More
The museum for Mode und Tracht (fashion and national costume) is the only one in the Saarland which concerns itself with the clothing and dressing habits of our ancestors. Around 200 exhibits are on show.
The clothes and national costumes with the corresponding lingerie and accessories originate from the years 1845 to 1920. On display are festive clothes, everyday clothes, work clothes,...
Mount Schaumberg with its 569 m is known as Saarland’s “local mountain”. Schaumberg Tower was built as a symbol of the friendship between Germany and France.
A panorama lift takes guests to the barrier-free viewing platform. From the tower you can see over Saarland to the Hunsrück and can even catch a glimpse of France when the weather is clear. There are two exhibitions for you to...More
From St. Wendel to the Bostalsee lake one can experience a 17 km long open-air gallery with examples of contemporary art. The exceptionally attractive countryside in combination with the sculptures offers the rambler an extraordinary experience.
The sculpture symposium on the hill between St. Wendel and Baltersweiler, which took place in the years 1971/72, formed the start of the...
Astronomie und Raumfahrt in rustikalem Ambiente einer historischen Bauernhaus-Scheune erleben. Hauptattraktion ist die Apollo 13-Raumkapsel, die zum Filmstart des gleichnamigen Hollywood-Blockbusters mit Tom Hanks Anfang der 90er Jahre erbaut wurde. Kinder und Erwachsene können im Cockpit Platz nehmen und die Reise zum Mond nachempfinden. Die Ausstellung möchte das Universum begreifbar...More