The Johann Adams Mill in Tholey
The Johann Adams Mill is one of the last remaining mill estates in Saarland and is idyllically situated in a meadow valley near Theley. It was first mentioned in writing in 1589. The current mill building dates back to 1735. At that time, the region was divided into the Duchy of Lorraine and Kurtrier. Two miller families, who lived together in the mill, took turns to work in milling room every other week.
The listed building has been renovated the municipality of Tholey in keeping with the original. The two-storey, originally thatched, half-timbered building with its raised mill wheel is considered to be the only mill in Saarland where the milling room still has medieval features while having been returned to a full working state. The water is now being led over a 12m oak bridge to the mill wheel again.
Today, the mill ensemble houses a museum of local history showing the exhibition "From flax to linen" that exhibits a loom and materials typical to the trade. Many lovingly collected household items from this era illustrate the laborious work performed by our ancestors in the household. Bread is still being baked regularly in the 200-year-old oven using an old recipe. The country restaurant housed in the former service outbuilding at Johann Adams Mill invites you to take a break.
Im Kloster 1
Phone: +49 6853 508-0
Johann Adams Mill and Mill Museum:
April to November:
Sundays and bank holidays from 2 pm – 6 pm
Guided tours for the public:
From April to November, every 1st Sunday of the month at 4 pm; Price: €2
From April to October:
Every 1st Sunday of the month from 3 pm to 5 pm
Guided tours (also for school classes and youth groups) and bread baking courses available by arrangement