Historic nail smithy in Sitzerath

    Nail forging has long tradition in the Hochwald. The first ironworks were built in the Hochwald as early as the middle of the 17th century. Everything needed for the production of iron was available in the area in sufficient amounts in the form of iron ore, wood and water. In the beginning, mainly ship, lock, band and slate nails were produced. Later, various types of shoe nails were made. However, everything was made by hand until the invention of a machine brought significant relief. Life was buzzing in the nail smiths in Sitzerath, especially during the wintertime. The whole family helped to produce the nails. In times when celebrations, public holidays, fun fairs or carnivals took place, the trade went extremely well. Work started at 4 am in the morning. Even small children were known to pitch in 2 or 3 hours before they went to school. The “Pönnenschmied”from Sitzerath, Nikolaus Paulus-Elgas, is known to have been the last nail maker in the region. Born in 1894, he had already mastered the smithy trade by the age of 15. It was not until 1935 that he quit his trade to pursue a better-paid profession.


    Buchenweg 11
    66620 Nonnweiler-Sitzerath

    Further information

    Tourist Info Nonnweiler
    Trierer Straße 5
    66620 Nonnweiler
    Phone: +49 6873 660-0

    Opening hours

    April - November, every 3rd Sunday of the month from 10 am to 12 pm.

    Guided tours

    By appointment only