Sankt Wendel County is home to many churches and chapels and each of them has its own little story to tell. For example, the Basilica of St. Wendelin in St. Wendel was built in the 11th to 13th century due to the popular worship of Saint Wendelin and is considered one of the most beautiful late Gothic hall churches in Saarland. The abbey church in Tholey, on the other hand, was originally built on the remains of a Roman bath complex and today contains early Gothic and Baroque elements as well as three choir windows, recently redesigned by the famous painter Gerhard Richter.
The Härtelwald Marian Worship Site in Marpingen attracts thousands of visitors every year. The "Hochwalddom" in Nonnweiler was a pilgrimage church for people who hoped to cure themselves by burning out their wounds with the "Hubertus key". The Africa Chapel on Mount Schaumberg owes its origins to a pietà, before which prisoners of war in Morocco prayed for a safe return and then took it back home from Morocco on foot. The many wayside crosses also bear witness to the great piety of the population.
The Africa Chapel, which belongs to Tholey Abbey, has been located on the north side of Mount Schaumberg, above Herzweg, since 1958. This memorial to veterans who fought in Africa in the Second World War has a heptagonal floor plan reminiscent of a crown of thorns and is intended to represent the Seven Sorrows of Mary. Particularly noteworthy is the pietà sculpture (an image of the...More
The Basilica of St. Wendelin (Wendelinusbasilika) in St. Wendel is widely visible as a town landmark. The continued movement to worship Saint Wendelin led to it being built as a late Gothic hall church in the 14th century. The driving force for this was the Elector Balduin von Trier, who acquired the town in 1327 and had it developed into an economic and cultural centre. The east choir was...More
Blasius Chapel in Bergweiler was first mentioned in a document among the possessions of Tholey Monastery in 1246. The main day of pilgrimage was the annual St. Mark’s day, on which a procession took place from Tholey to the chapel followed by a market. Inside, the chapel has three baroque altars in white, blue and gold. The figure of Saint Blasius is depicted on the high altar, with Saint...More
In Marpingen, the devotion to Mary, the mother of God, has been firmly rooted in popular belief for over 500 years. In 1876, Marpingen first attracted attention across Germany when three 8-year-old girls reported seeing apparitions of the mother of God in the Härtelwald forest. Marpingen soon got a reputation for being a German Lourdes.
To this day, many thousands of pilgrims visit the...More
The Catholic parish church of Nonnweiler, also popularly known as "Hochwalddom", was built between 1900 and 1902 in the neo-late Gothic style by the Mainz Cathedral architect L. Becker. The main entrance is decorated with various types of nails, all of which were produced in nearby nail smith workshops. The Hubertus Horn and the Hubertus Key from the 12th century can be viewed in the...More
The Chapel of St. Antonius in Selbach, also known as the "Kathreinenkapelle", was built in the 16th century. It is believed that it served as the base for a dominion at the watershed between the rivers Nahe and Blies. The tower is probably the oldest part of the chapel and was built in the 13th century, the bell was not added until 1509. The fully preserved late baroque Way of the Cross is...More
Father Arnold Janssen founded the Mission Society of the Steyler Missionaries in St. Wendel in 1898 and subsequently the Mission House was built. The complex also houses the Ethnological Museum, the Mission Bookshop and the Mission House Church.
The Mission House Church has the shape of a cross. The 36-metre-high crossing tower, which rises from the three-aisled church, is remarkable. The...More
The old 18th century Nepomuk Chapel belonged to the ensemble that made up Gonnesweiler Castle, which was built around 1730 and destroyed during the French Revolution. As a palace chapel, it survived the French Revolution, but fell victim to the wave of modernisation in the post-war period. It was demolished in 1970. Reconstruction of the chapel in its original form came about through civic...More
The 584-metre-high mount Peterberg has been considered a weather mountain since ancient times. In pre-Christian times, it was dedicated to the god Donar, and in later times, it was said to be inhabited by weather witches. At the site where the chapel is located today, there used to be a sanctuary dedicated to weather god Saint Peter for several centuries.
A wooden chapel was built on...More
In its original form, Saint Valentine's Chapel was built between 1761 and 1764 by the hermit Johann Nonninger. According to legend, the reason it was erected in the first place was because of the demise of a young Jew. As a Koblenz skipper, Nonninger was to blame for the boy's drowning and built the chapel in the hope of finding inner peace again. It is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and...More
The Benedictine Abbey of St. Mauritius is the oldest still existing monastery on German soil. Monks have been living at the foot of Mount Schaumberg since 634 and today, around a dozen Benedictine monks still keep the abbey alive. Ora et labora determine the daily rhythm in the monastery. Visitors are also always welcome to pray together with the monks.
The baroque monastery garden, which...More
Wendelinuskapelle (Wendelinus Chapel) was built in 1755 on behalf of the bailiff and electoral court councillor Franz Ernst D'Hame. Builder Johannes Schubmehl built the chapel in a scenic location at the foot of Bosenberg hill. It is assumed that the chapel was designed by Augustinian brother Josef Walter. Worth seeing in particular are the Baroque altar and the open bell tower above the...More