There are many churches and chapels in the region of Sankt Wendel and each of them can tell you their own little story. The Wendelinusbasilika (Wendelinus Basilica) in St. Wendel for instance, which was built following the worship of St. Wendelin in the 11th to 13th century and counts as one of the prettiest late Gothic hall churches in the Saarland. The Abteikirche (abbey-church) in Tholey, however, was erected on the remains of a roman bath and today contains many early Gothic and Baroque style elements. The Marienverehrungsstätte (site for the Adoration of the Virgin Mary) in Härtelwald forest attracts thousands of visitors every year. The Hochwalddom (the Catholic parish church) in Nonnweiler was the place of worship for those pilgrims who sought healing by burning out their wounds with the “Hubertusschlüssel” (St. Hubert’s key). The Afrikakapelle (Africa chapel) on the Schaumberg mountain came into being after prisoners of war in Morocco, who had prayed in front of a pieta for a safe return home, subsequently brought it home with them on foot from Morocco. The many crosses along the roads also pay homage to the great piety of the population.
Auf der Nordseite des Schaumberges, oberhalb des Herzweges, liegt seit 1958 die zur Tholeyer Abtei gehörende Afrika Kapelle.
Diese Gedächtnisstätte der Afrika-Veteranen aus dem Zweiten Weltkrieg erinnert durch ihren siebeneckigen Grundriss an eine Dornenkrone und soll die sieben Schmerzen Marias darstellen.
Besonders hervor sticht die Pieta (ein Bild der schmerzhaften Mutter Gottes),...
Since ancient times the 585 m high Peterberg mountain is considered to be a Wetterberg (weather mountain). In pre-Christian times it was dedicated to the God Donar, in later times it was referred to as being home to the Weather Witches. Throughout several centuries a sanctum, which was dedicated to the patron saint of weather Peter, used to be at the point where the chapel is located now....More
The Marienverehrung (Adoration of the Virgin Mary) in Marpingen has been known since the 15th century. In July 1876 it reached a remarkable peak Germany-wide, as three 8-year old girls reported the apparition of the Mother of Christ in the Härtelwald forest. Soon after Marpingen was publicly known as the “German Lourdes”. Even today the Marienverehrungsstätte (site of the Adoration of the...More
The St. Nepomukkapelle (Chapel of St. Nepomuk) was built as the castle chapel in 1743 by the nobleman Florent Joseph de Latre de Feignies. This was of particular importance for the population of Gonnesweiler as a cultural treasure and dominates the image of the area. In the course of the French Revolution, the Gonnesweiler castle was destroyed, the chapel, however, escaped undamaged. It...More
The Benedictine Abbey St. Mauritius in Tholey is the oldest monastery foundation on German soil. There, where the abbey is found today, a Roman bath system used to be located in the 3rd century AD. Upon these remains, the French Deacon Grimo Adalgisel built a church, probably a simple wooden framed structure, and bequeathed it to the Bishop of Verdun in the year of 643. It is assumed that...More
The Blasius’ chapel in Bergweiler was built in the 13th century on the Blasiusberg hill of the same name. It is first mentioned in documentation dating to 1246 as being in possession of the Tholey monastery. The chapel is dedicated to St. Blasius and St. Theobert. Ending with the last century many pilgrims visited the chapel. The main pilgrimage day coincided with the yearly Markusfest...More
The Catholic parish church of Nonnweiler, locally also known as “Hochwalddom”, was built in the years 1900-1902 by the Mainz master cathedral builder L. Becker in neo-late Gothic style. The church is impressive due to its remarkable size, a total length of 33 meters, and the 54 meter high church steeple. The western steeple with its square towers and high slated spire dominates the area...More
The chapel of St. Antonius in Selbach, also known as “Kathreinenkapelle”, was built in the 16th century. It is thought that it served as an outpost for a sovereignty of the watershed between the Nahe and the Blies. The tower is the oldest part of the chapel and was already built in the 13th century; the bell did not arrive until the year 1509. The completely preserved late-Baroque Station...More
In 1898 the missionary society of the Steyler Missionaries was founded by Father Arnold Janssen in St. Wendel and, following this, the mission was built. The anthropological museum and the mission library as well as the Arnold Jannsen Grammar School and the mission church belong to the complex. In 1905 Father Scholl drew up the first blueprints for the building of the church. A Mainz...More
The Valentinskapelle (Chapel of St. Valentine) was built in its original style between 1761 and 1764 by the hermit Johann Nonninger.
According to legend the reason for the construction was the death of a young Jew. Nonninger was, as a mariner from the town of Koblenz, responsible for the boy´s drowning and built the chapel with the hope of regaining his inner peace. In the Middle Ages the...
The Wendelinusbasilika in St. Wendel is the town’s landmark. It was built as a late-Gothic hall church in the 14th century as a result of the worshipping of St. Wendelin. A propelling force was the prince-elector Balduin of Trier who acquired the town in 1327 and expanded it to an economic and cultural center. In the mid-14th century the east choir was the first part to be finished. It was...More
The Wendelinuskapelle (Chapel of St. Wendelin) was built in 1755 in a charmingly scenic location at the foot of the Bosenberg mountain. Particularly worth seeing are the Baroque altar and the open bell tower over the gateway. According to legend the chapel stands on the place where St. Wendelin lived as a hermit. Today many pilgrims still visit the chapel in order to refresh themselves at...More