Father Arnold Janssen of the Steyler Missionary founded the mission, which rises high above the “Atzenhübel”, in St. Wendel in 1898. The mission church was built in the years 1913–1913. In addition, the Arnold Janssen grammar school and the Museum for Mission and Ethnology are housed in the mission, which was established subsequent to the building of the church in 1920. Evidence of the life and working styles of other cultures are predominantly illustrated, which the Steyler missionaries brought back to St. Wendel from their missionary activities. Objects from China and New Guinea as well as a large number of stuffed animals from all around the world are primarily presented. Wood carvings, woven textiles, jewelry and weapons from Indonesia are on display, so are special exhibits from the natives of the Philippines. Musical instruments, masks, wood carvings, weapons and small collections of household containers originate from various African countries. Porcelain items and textiles or paintings are predominantly from India, China and Japan.
The mission bookshop on the ground floor offers a large selection of current religious-theological and educational literature.
Mo – Fr: 9 – 18 Uhr
Sa: 9 – 13 Uhr
So: 14 – 18 Uhr
Und nach Vereinbarung