The mineralogical museum in Oberkirchen was founded as a private museum in 1948 by Augustinus Stein, a passionate hobby collector from Oberkirchen. A. Stein acquired most of the findings within the local region. His niece continued the managing of the museum until it was taken over by the community of Freisen in 1993 and was moved to the newly renovated premises of the “Alten Schule” (old school) in Oberkirchen. Today, there are over 1500 examples from over 90 different rock types to be admired. Above all, the most precious exhibits are agates such as the “Untergehende Sonne” (“Setting Sun”), jaspers, crystals, quartzes, amethysts and aquamarines. Even experts are surprised by the variety of precious stones which were found in the area. This museum is also run voluntarily by the local heritage and tourist societies of Oberkirchen.
Telefon: (0 68 55) 97 44
Jeden 1. Sonntag im Monat von 13–18 Uhr und nach Vereinbarung