The farmhouse in Reitscheid was built in 1862 with a total usable area of 200 m². Typical of southwest German farmhouses is the clearly structured facade of windows and doors surrounded by natural stone. In front of the two-storey house with an underground level is a large courtyard as well as a garden and spacious meadows. Southwest German farmhouses -such as the prevalent Lorrainese farmhouses in the Saarland- are so-called “Einhäuser” (long houses), in which the living and working parts of the farm are accommodated together under one roof. Furniture, farming equipment, household goods, even the crockery and the pictures on the walls remind of the life and the people who once lived in this farm house. Numerous exhibits, including old machines and farming equipment, gives museum visitors an impression of the life and work of the rural population around 150 years ago.
In 1990 the empty building was acquired by the community of Freisen and the house was fundamentally redeveloped in collaboration with the rural district of St. Wendel and monument conservators. Only after the restoration the museum could be opened in 1994.
Today the agricultural museum is used as a place of events for crafts courses, song and music evenings or readings due to its particular ambience and its vaulted cellar.
Telefon: (0 68 55) 97 44
Jeden 1. Sonntag im Monat von 13–18 Uhr und nach Vereinbarung