The chequered history of the region of Sankt Wendel has left many interesting testimonies. Already from as early as the Neolithic, you will find relics of our early ancestors like the 15 ton Celtic menhir at Walhausen.
Celts, Romans and the Franken have put their stamp on the region and erected refuge forts and settlements. The Celtic tribe of the Treverer have left the largest existing circular ringwall fort in Europe on the Dollberg mountain near Otzenhausen, which served as protection against the Romans. At the crossroads of two important military roads, the remains of an important Roman settlement and a spa have been found during excavations in the Wareswald forest.
Various keeps, such as the ones in Nohfelden and Eisweiler, are today witness to the important estates from the time of the counts, dukes and sovereigns.
Also interesting is the history of the idyllically situated court estate Imsbach, which Napoleon presented to one of his officers for administration. Not far from there is the Johann-Adams-Mühle (Johann Adams mill) with its water wheel and the thatched roof. It is one of the last preserved milling complexes in the Saarland.
A farmhouse typical for the region represents the pretty originally preserved “long house” Millpeter’sch Haus in Güdesweiler.
Old handyman’s art can still be seen in the old nail smithy in Sitzerath and at the show kiln for the production of charcoal in Walhausen.
In the year 1285, Willhelm Bossel von Stein built Burg Veldenz. Today, only the castle tower remains to be seen which, at the same time, is a memorial of nationwide significance and a landmark of Nohfelden. The first written reference to the castle dates 1286. At the same time it was passed to the Counts of Veldenz as a fiefdom. Part of the text of the then document is known... More
The Hinkelstein near Walhausen is a ca. 4000 – 5000 year old menhir that is situated in the area known as “Vor Hinkelsborn” next to Walhausen precinct. The 15- ton heavy stone originates from the Neolithic Age (New Stone Age) and is one of the few witnesses to the first settlement in the region of Sankt Wendel. Beside this menhir, there are two further cult stones in the... More
The business of the nail smithies has a long tradition in the region of the Hochwald. In the mid-17th century the first ironworks had already been set up in the Hochwald. Shortly after the Thirty Years’ War, a Belgian established himself in the region as a nailer and took his materials from the ironworks found here. Everything that was needed for iron mining was in plentiful... More
The history of the Imsbach settlement dates back to the Bronze and Iron Age. The first written reference to the court estate is dated 1310. In the 19th century it was in its heyday when it came into the possession of the cavalry officer Colonel Lapointe as a present from Napoleon Bonaparte. He used the property for farming. After the death of Colonel Lapointe in the year 1855,... More
The Johann Adams Mühle is one of the last working mill properties in the Saarland and is located idyllically in the Wiesental valley near Theley. The first written reference to it dates 1589. The present day mill buildings date back to the year 1735. At this time the region was split into the Duchy of Lothringen (Lorraine) and the Electorate of Trier. Thus, the population... More
The circular stone wall at Otzenhausen, locally known as the “Hunnenring”, is a powerful Celtic fortification on the Dollberg mountainside near Otzenhausen.
It had already been established in the 1st century BC as a means of protection against the Romans. Today, it is considered to be one of the most impressive constructions in Europe. It is assumed that the... More
The Liebenburg with its tower on the Schlossberg hill in Eisweiler is visible from afar and is a landmark of the community of Namborn. The castle was built around the close of the 12th century by the Bishops of Verdun and was initially referred to in writing in the year 1218. The name “Liebenburg” can be traced back to the knight Bogemond de Leivenberc who was appointed to be... More
The Millpetersch’ Haus stems from the year 1793 and is built in the style of a southwest German farmhouse. Since it was built, the house has been family- owned and named after the former owner and operator of the neighboring abby mill, Peter Müller. In 1914, the farmhouse was reconstructed for the first time. A second living floor as well as a barn and smithy were added.... More
Near Tholey an important Gallo-Roman settlement developed at the crossing point of the two important Roman roads from Metz to Mainz and from Trier to Strasbourg in the 1st century AD. The settlement stretched for about 1 kilometer along the road at the foot of the Schaumberg mountain. Moreover, the settlement area was extended downhill in terraces to the north and south. The... More
The “Schaumeiler der Köhler” (charcoal mound kilns with a height of 2 meters) in the Walhauser Buchwald forest is a reminder of the charcoal production in pre-industrial times. At this time, charcoal was the most important energy supplier and was needed in huge amounts for the melting of copper ore for smelting.
To melt a single ton of ore, up to... More